In the mood for a meal that is warm and comforting, while still being healthy? Look no further!
This creamy, basic vegan risotto recipe is packed full of healthy greens to make sure you’re not just being comforted while eating this delicious meal, you’re getting your daily serve of vegetables and staying healthy too.
Risotto’s roots come from northern Italy. It is made with a special type of rice called arborio, which is starchier than other types of rice. Despite its long history, it’s still a commonly cooked meal for most Italians.
Arborio rice, combined with a slow cooking method and a lot of liquid, creates a very creamy finished product. While traditional risottos are cooked with animal products like butter and parmesan cheese, the recipe you’ll find here is 100% plant-based. And yet, we’ve served this dish up to friends and family without mentioning the V-word and not only have they loved the meal, they never gave a thought to its lack of animal products.
Despite how healthy this vegan risotto is, it’s no Gordon Ramsay level of difficulty – you will find it’s quite simple to make.
Our take on the traditional risotto base is made with veggie stock, a good splash of white wine and some vegan-friendly butter.
Added into this are some nutrient-dense green veggies, tasty chopped herbs and lightly toasted hazelnuts. This gives the meal an added layer of flavour and packs it full of healthy goodness.
This mouthwatering dish is simple enough for anyone to make. The most time consuming part is stirring the risotto as it absorbs the vegetable stock. The trick is to save a glass of wine to sip on for that part of the cooking process!
Believe it or not, but this is the same recipe we use for our pre-prepared, delivered Super Green Risotto – meaning you can have this deliciously healthy dish delivered to your doorstep, and you all you need to do is heat and eat!
However, if cooking flavourful, nutritious and 100% plant-based meals is your jam, then check out this article for more great vegan, healthy and simple meals to make at home.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion (finely chopped)
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp dairy free butter
- 1 cup arborio / risotto rice
- 1 cup white wine
- juice of 2 lemons
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 20 asparagus stalks (chopped into discs)
- 2 cups of green beans (chopped)
- 4 cups garden peas
- handful mint (finely chopped)
- handful sage (finely chopped)
- handful parsley (finely chopped)
- 20 asparagus spears (lightly roasted)
- handful roasted hazelnuts
- Salt to taste (~1/2-1 tsp should be plenty)
- Warm some olive oil in a pan, add the onions & cook them until they’re translucent.
- Add the garlic, dairy free butter & fry until you release the aroma of the garlic.
- Add the rice, & stir it round so it’s all well covered in the juices of the other ingredients.
- Add the wine, lemon juice & stir it until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Pour in a cup of stock & stir until it’s all been absorbed – repeat this process until all the stock has been used – it will take a long time but trust us, it will be well worth it!
- Add the asparagus, beans, peas & stir into the risotto rice for around 12 minutes (or until the vegetables have softened to your liking – if the rice is drying out, add a bit of water.
- Add the herbs, stir them in, add the asparagus spears, hazelnuts, salt & stir them in too.
- Serve immediately & garnish with roasted hazelnuts.
- Live Fully
Don’t Have Time to Cook?
We have good news for you!
If shopping, preparing and cooking this meal isn’t something you have the time (or the inclination) for, we’re here to help.
With just a few clicks, you can order this meal (and others) on the allplants website.