Ready in: 40 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Yes, you read the title correctly. If you’re new to the plant-based game then vegan cream might sound like an oxymoron but, rest assured, it is certainly doable. From store-bought cream alternatives to recipes using a whole host of bases such as tofu, coconut or soaked cashews, vegan cream is delicious, cruelty-free and, most importantly, creamy!
But perhaps you’re trying to cut out the packaged goods and stick to homemade. Or you may have intolerances that prevent you from many of the vegan cream alternatives available. Well, we have good news.
Leave it to the team at allplants to nail a delectably creamy, silky smooth vegan cream alternative – made with beans! Our kitchen connoisseurs have perfected the creaminess of this mushroom soup using the humble white bean.
Delicious, filling and ready to warm you from the inside out, this vegan creamy mushroom soup is perfect for those cold days when all you want to do is bundle up on the sofa instead of slaving away in the kitchen. Simple to prepare and quick to cook, you’ll be warming your belly before your spot on the couch has even gone cold.
To start, sautée the onions and garlic before cooking them with the mushrooms and thyme. Add the almond milk, vegetable stock and white beans and cook for another 5 minutes before transferring to a blender along with the white miso paste. Blend on high until creamy and then brown some additional mushrooms to top it all off. It really is that simple.
Lost your kitchen mojo and want someone to do it for you? Fear not. The allplants team prepare and package plenty of amazing recipes like this and even deliver them right to your home.
For the Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 500 grams mixed mushrooms, sliced (we used a mix of portobello and button)
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup almond milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can white beans
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white miso (optional but recommended)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 250g wild mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Pinch of salt
For the Soup
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add in chopped onion and garlic and sautée for 3-4 minutes. Add in sliced mushrooms and thyme.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes until lightly browned, stirring only once or twice.
- Add in almond milk, vegetable stock and white beans and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a blender, along with the tablespoon of white miso paste. Blend the soup on high until silky smooth.
For the Topping
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Tear your wild mushrooms into the pan along with the fresh thyme, and stir to coat with oil and let cook (untouched!) for 3-4 minutes.
- Once they brown, you can turn them over and let brown on other side (2-3 minutes).
- Add a pinch of salt at the end, and remove from heat.
- Serve soup topped with wild mushrooms, a drizzle of olive oil and some crusty bread.
Don’t Have Time to Cook?
We have good news for you!
If shopping, preparing and cooking isn’t something you have the time (or the inclination) for, we’re here to help.
With just a few clicks, you can order delicious plant-based meals from the allplants website.