Ready in: 40 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
You’d be hard pressed to find a snack as good as the classic toastie. A true comfort food, its cheesy, melty goodness is warming and delicious. Best of all, it’s a quick buttering of bread, layering of cheese and tossing it in the pan (or sandwich press) – too easy.
But when you stop and think about it, it’s really just a melted cheese sandwich. Two slices of bread and some cheese… Not so fancy.
So what if we told you, with a little more effort, you could take your toastie making to the next level? A great combination of flavours, still with that melty goodness, and of course oh-so-delicious. Sound too good to be true? Well, we’re here to show you it is possible.
Best of all this neat treat is plant-based. Impress all your friends (vegans and non-vegans alike) with your off-the-charts toastie making skills while keeping the cows happy too.
Start by roasting butternut squash and onion to create a sweet and salty filling. It may seem like a big ask to use the oven for a toastie, but we promise the effort is worth the reward. After 20-25 minutes of roasting, you’ll have soft squash and browned onions; the delectable heart of this tasty toastie.
Then it’s simply a matter of layering your favourite dairy-free cheese on to fresh sourdough slices, piling on the pumpkin and onion, and frying in the pan. For that classic golden crust, lightly spread a dairy-free butter onto the outside of each slice of sourdough before frying.
So, if you’re ready to stop snacking like you were when you were five, then give this grown-up take on the classic toastie a go. Sophisticated yet simple, classy yet comforting, it’s a delicious treat that’s sure to leave everyone asking for seconds – so you should probably just make the extra now.
Sound amazing but you just can’t bring yourself to cook? Fear not. The allplants team prepare and package plenty of amazing recipes like this and even deliver them right to your home.
- ½ butternut squash, thinly sliced
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 8 slices dairy-free cheese (we love Violife)
- 8 slices sourdough bread
To Make the Filling
- Preheat your oven to 180˙C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Transfer the sliced butternut squash and sliced onions onto the tray, side by side. Coat with salt and the tablespoon of oil.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, until the butternut squash is soft and onions browned
To Prepare the Toastie
- Take two slices of bread to make the first toastie. Layer two slices of cheese, topped with butternut squash followed by roasted onions.
- Spread a little butter (if using) on the outside of each slice of bread.
If you’re making these to store, stop here and transfer to in an airtight container (and refrigerate). When you’re ready to make your toastie, proceed with the following.
To Cook the Toastie
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Transfer toastie and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn it over once golden on the bottom side, and cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Apply some pressure onto the toastie with a spatula for 30 seconds or so, to squeeze it all together.
- Remove from heat, and repeat with remaining toasties.
Don’t Have Time to Cook?
We have good news for you!
If shopping, preparing and cooking isn’t something you have the time (or the inclination) for, we’re here to help.
With just a few clicks, you can order delicious plant-based meals from the allplants website.