Ready in: 45 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Calories: 114kcal per 100g
Fat: 3.9g per 100g
Carbs: 14g per 100g
Protein: 4.9g per 100g
You’ve made the commitment to a vegan lifestyle. With a clear conscience, you’re happy knowing you’re cruelty-free and making healthy choices. Then comes family night at Nonna’s house and everyone is indulging in deliciously creamy carbonara. Suddenly you’re not so happy anymore…
Well, we’re here to show you that you can have your carbonara and eat it too!
Traditionally, carbonara is just about the least vegan-friendly sauce around with eggs, pancetta and parmesean cheese. You’d be forgiven for thinking that once you’ve switched to a plant-based diet your days of indulging in this decadent dish are over.
Yet this recipe proves a luscious, creamy plant-based carbonara is more than possible. In fact, it’s something you should definitely add to your repertoire of “I-can’t-believe-it’s-vegan” recipes to impress your omni fam and friends.
It starts by creating the smoky mushroom pancetta; adding tamari, brown sugar, liquid smoke, smoked paprika and oil to chestnut mushrooms and baking for 20 minutes.
Next, the creamy carbonara sauce is a whiz! Simply add the cashews, silken tofu and the perfect combination of herbs and spices to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Just don’t forget to soak the cashews in boiling water for at least half an hour beforehand!
Top it off with sauteed mushrooms, steamed broccoli and almond parm, and add it all to a bowl of steaming rigatoni – bellissimo!
For those of you who are health conscious, put your mind at ease and enjoy this creamy delight knowing you’re digging in to a meal that’s high in both Iron and Vitamin C. In a single 400g serving, you’re getting around 4.4mg of Iron and 24.8mg of Vitamin C, the equivalent to 32% of the recommended daily intake or NRV (Nurtient Reference Value) for each.
Luscious. Creamy. Cruelty-free. This vegan carbonara is so delicious it will do your Nonna proud, while keeping you on Mother Earth’s good side.
And don’t worry, if you want to impress the family but don’t have the time to cook you need not miss out! This is the exact same recipe we use when we prepare, package and deliver our creamy vegan rigatoni carbonara right to your home.
- 350g rigatoni
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tamari
- ½ tbsp liquid smoke
- ½ tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 cup chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- ½ cup cashews, soaked in boiling water for at least 30 minutes
- ½ cup silken tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup water
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ white onion, finely diced
- 1 cup chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 head broccoli
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- ½ tsp garlic puree
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp sea salt
To Make the Mushroom Pancetta
- Pre-heat your oven to 180˙C.
- In a bowl, toss mushrooms with tamari, brown sugar, liquid smoke, smoked paprika and oil.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
To Make the Carbonara Sauce
- In a blender combined all of the ingredients.
- Blend on high for 2-3 minutes (until smooth and creamy).
To Make the Sautéed Mushrooms
- To a heated pan, add oil and diced onions.
- Sauté for until translucent (2-3 minutes), and then add sliced chestnut and oyster mushrooms.
- Stir to coat in olive oil and onion, and let cook untouched for 3-4 minutes, on medium heat.
- Turn over once the heat-facing side has turned golden, and let cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, stir and let cook for another minute.
- Remove from heat.
To Make the Steamed Broccoli
- Place your washed broccoli in a steamer (or in a colander over a pot of boiling water).
- Steam for 3-4 minutes, until vibrant and tender.
To Make the Almond Parm
- Toss flaked almonds, garlic puree, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and salt into a blender.
- Pulse for 30 seconds, until you reach a crumb texture.
- Boil 350g rigatoni.
- Once ready, mix with carbonara sauce, mushroom pancetta, sauteed mushrooms and steamed broccoli.
- Plate and top with almond parm.
Don’t Have Time to Cook?
We have good news for you!
If shopping, preparing and cooking this meal isn’t something you have the time (or the inclination) for, we’re here to help.
With just a few clicks, you can order this meal (and others) on the allplants website.