Servings: Approximately 20 macaroons
Crisp and golden on the outside with a nutty, naturally sweet and chewy centre, not only are these coconut and almond macaroons a delicious guilt-free sweet treat but they also pack a nutritional punch. The egg whites provide a great source of protein, whilst the coconut and almonds offer a healthy dose of good fats, too!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (alcohol free)
- ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 3 squares of raw chocolate
- 1 tbsp milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 175 C
- Line a large baking tray with greaseproof/baking paper
- In a bowl, whisk egg whites until they reach an almost stiff consistency.
- Once stiff, gently fold in the remaining ingredients to form a dough. (Bear in mind that it will be quite a sticky dough.)
- When all of the ingredients have been combined, spoon the mixture (one teaspoon per macaroon) onto the baking tray.
- Bake the macaroons in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until a light golden brown.
- When ready, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- For the chocolate drizzle, using a bain-marie gently melt the raw chocolate and add a tablespoon of your milk of choice (almond, coconut, rice etc.).
- Once melted, drizzle the chocolate mixture over the coconut macaroons and leave to cool. Enjoy.
If you don’t have coconut sugar, you could also use an alternative sweetener (such as raw honey or maple syrup) instead. You could also add a spoonful of your favourite superfood (such as maca powder), too!
More From Hedi Hearts
This delicious recipe for coconut and almond macaroons was created by clean-eating blogger Hedi Hearts. Check out her blog for inspiration and clean-eating recipes.