By Tero Isokauppila from Healing Mushrooms
The folks at Four Sigmatic know a thing or two about the power of mushrooms. Not just great for an adaptogenic boost to drinks, chaga powder also makes a fantastic addition to soups, too!
Made with a creamy dairy free base, this plant-based soup recipe is jam-packed with nutrient dense goodies like miso, chaga and mineral rich seaweed flakes.
- 2 tablespoons chaga powder
- 1⁄4 cup unpasteurised miso (soy, barley, or chickpea)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup whole almonds (preferably soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 1⁄4 cup seaweed flakes
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of chile powder or dash of Sriracha sauce (optional). Slivered almonds, for garnish (optional)
TOTAL TIME: 10 MINUTES PREP TIME PLUS 1 TO 4 HOURS STEEPING TIME (DEPENDING ON PERSONAL PREFERENCE)
- In a large saucepan, combine the chaga powder and 8 cups water. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer for 1 to 4 hours, depending on how strong you want the chaga flavor (see Tip). Keep an eye on the broth as it simmers and add more water as it evaporates.
- Once the chaga brew reaches your desired potency level, allow it to cool slightly before pouring it into a high-speed blender. Add the miso, garlic, olive oil, whole almonds, seaweed, lime juice, and chili powder and blend on high speed until the soup is smooth and frothy. Be super careful when blending hot liquids—blend the soup in batches, if necessary.
- Divide the soup among four soup bowls or large mugs and garnish with sliced almonds and additional chili, if desired.
Tip: The stronger the chaga flavour (the longer the chaga steeps in the hot water), the more nutrients the soup will contain.
Recipe taken from Healing Mushrooms by Tero Isokauppila.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Tero Isokauppila is the founder and President of Four Sigmatic, a natural superfoods company specialising in mushroom-based drink powders. Tero grew up in Finland and later earned a degree in Chemistry and a Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition at Cornell University. In 2012, he founded Four Sigmatic and is a subject matter expert on all things pertaining to mushrooms, superfoods, and natural health.