Looking for a delicious vegan recipe with kimchi? Well, look no further. This Korean-inspired dish is easy to make and super healthy. Assembled in just 30 minutes, it is packed full of vitamins, minerals and gut-boosting probiotics.
A fermented blend of cabbage, garlic, chilli peppers, scallions, and other spices, kimchi is a traditional Korean dish that is often eaten with every meal in Korea. Thanks to the fermentation, it harnesses the power of probiotics to boost the digestive system, while also promoting brain, immune and skin health. This plant-powered super ingredient also boasts anti-cancer and anti-obesity properties. Kimchi, where have you been all our lives?!
In our bowl, the kimchi stars alongside wild rice, pearl barley and tamari roasted mushrooms. This mix is then combined with fresh edamame, savoy cabbage and baby corn, which is gently heated through a delicious sweet and sour style sauce – yum!
And best of all, it’s vegan. With no sugar, no shrimp, no fish sauce or any other animal products, our vegan kimchi rice and barley bowl is deliciously cruelty-free, meaning not only is it good for you, it’s good for the planet too.
The trick to making it an absolute winner? Be sure to buy the best vegan kimchi available with just the right amount of zing and spices. Or, if you can’t find it, try your hand at following one of the many recipes available online. But, be warned, Korean families traditionally kept their kimchi recipe a closely guarded secret!
If you don’t want to cook but can’t wait to dig into our vegan kimchi bowl, then you’ll be pleased to know this is the exact same recipe we use when we prepare, package and deliver Kimchi Grain Bowls for people like you!
Serves: 4 | Time: 30 mins
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 3 portobello mushrooms
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp tamari
- 2/3 cup edamame beans
- 2/3 cup chopped savoy cabbage
- 7 baby corn
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup vegan kimchi
- 2.5 cups veg stock (low salt)
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tbsp gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 2 heaped tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 cup passata
- 1/2 onion
- Add the wild rice to a saucepan, top up with water and boil until al dente (~25 mins), then drain. In a separate pan, repeat the steps above with the pearl barley.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C. Wash and slice the mushrooms into 5cm chunks, toss with olive oil and tamari and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- To make the sauce, place all the ingredients for the sauce (from the veg stock down to 1/2 onion) into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Prep the baby corn by slicing into 3, chop the kimchi into smaller slices and toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan.
- Pour the sauce into a large pan, add the cabbage, baby corn and edamame beans and gently heat through until warm. Add in the grains and mushrooms and stir through until warm.
- Serve immediately with a side of kimchi and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds
Don’t Have Time to Cook?
We have good news for you!
If shopping, preparing and cooking this meal isn’t something you have the time (or the inclination) for, we’re here to help.
With just a few clicks, you can order this meal (and others) on the allplants website.